Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteGrantham


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteGrantham


Grantham Workhouse

Following the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act Grantham Union was declared 31st December 1835. 

The Union comprises 103,929 acres of land, divided into 52 parishes & townships, 7 of which are in Leics, & the others in Loveden, Beltisloe, Aswardhum, Aveland & Winnibriggs & Threo Wapentakes. Its population amounted to 22,829 souls in 1831; & in 1841, to 25,456; & in 1851, to 29,850 souls. 
Source: White Directory 1856 - p397/398
Submitted by Betty Longbottom

The Union Workhouse was erected 1837 from designs by Sampson Kempthorne, architect.

The Union Workhouse is at Spittlegate, on the western side of Grantham, & was built at the cost of 4500. It has room for 250 paupers. It had 125 inmates in 1841, & 198 in 1851, when the census was taken. 
The total expenditure of the union for the year ending Sept 1855, was 8612.15s.3d. 
Source: White Directory 1856 - p397/398
Submitted by Betty Longbottom

The Board of Guardians met every alternate Thursday, at eleven in the morning to discuss Union matters. These issues were recorded in the Union minutes.

Charles Allix esq, is chairman
Sir G E Welby, Bart, vice-chairman
Robert Henry Johnston esq union clerk & supt.reg Mr Robert & Mrs Elizabeth Nelson, master & matron of the workhouse
Rev J S Wagstaffe, MA, chaplain
Mr Charles Millar, schoolmaster.
Source: White Directory 1856 - p397/398
Submitted by Betty Longbottom

The old Workhouse which immediately adjoined the Great Northern Railway Station had been sold to that company for 13,500. The new Workhouse erected in 1891-92 from designs by Valentine Green, architect at a total cost of 23,000 and occupied a site of about 10 acres on the Dysart Road and on the south side of the Town. The buildings had a front elevation of 500 feet, and made of rubble, ancaster stone and brick, and included a water tower on the south side about 60 feet high. The Tramp wards faced Dysart Road with a frontage of 224 feet.

The wards were arranged on the pavilion system consisting of seven blocks separated by covered corridors on the ground floor. A space of 50 feet intervened between each block. The departments on each side of the central administrative block were two storeys in height and concreted on the upper floor by an over head air gangway. The Infirmary was made of stone 168 feet long and two storeys in height.

Aubrey Henry Malim, Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee
Rev. Clement Ellesmere, Medical Officer
James Eaton, Medical Officer
Richard Harding Holman, Master of the Workhouse
Mrs Sarah Holman, Matron of the Workhouse
Source: Kelly's Directory

The Workhouse developed into Hill View Hospital.

O. B. Warren, Master of the Workhouse

Lincolnshire Archives, St Rumbold Street, Lincoln, LN2 5AB.
The Grimsby records are at the North Lincolnshire Archives in Grimsby.

Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright Rossbret 1999-2002. All rights reserved.