Following the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act Horncastle Union was officially declared 20th December 1836. The Workhouse a red brick building was erected in 1838 from designs by G. Gilbert Scott and W. Bonython Moffatt, architects to accommodate 200 inmates.
The Union comprises 68 parishes etc,
extending over 113,588 acres, &
containing 25,089 inhabitants, in
1851. The total expenditure of the
union, for the year ending March
1856, was £10,695.16s.6+d.
The Union Workhouse, in Union St, was built in 1837/38, & has room for 260 paupers, but it had only 122 inmates in 1841, & 208 in 1851, when the census was taken.
The Board of Guardians meets every Tuesday morning, at eleven o'clock. Sir Henry Dymoke, Bart, is chairman, & the Rev Henry Fielding & Mr William Martin, vice-chairmen. Mr Edward Babbington is the union clerk & supt.reg; the Rev Samuel Cooke, chaplain; John & Sarah Holmes, master & matron of the Workhouse; George & Susan Kemp, schoolteachers; & Edward Armitage, porter.
Source: White Directory 1856 - p 758
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
The main Workhouse block continues to be used by Social Services.
UNION STAFF 1892
J. E. Chatterton, Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee
Rev. Henry Benwell M. A. Chaplain
John William Jessop, Medical Officer
William Berridge, Master of the Workhouse
Mrs Betsy Berridge, Matron of the Workhouse
Miss Florence Green, Schoolmistress
Source: Kelly's Directory
Lincolnshire Archives, St Rumbold Street, Lincoln, LN2 5AB.
The Grimsby records are at the North Lincolnshire Archives in Grimsby.
March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 1999-2002. All rights reserved.