Following the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act Lincoln Union was declared 5th November 1836.
Union Workhouse is pleasantly
situated on the hill, near Lincoln
Asylum, & was built in 1837-8 at the
cost of about £11,000. It is on a
commodious & well arranged plan, &
has room for 360 inmates. It had 173
inmates in 1841, & 287 in 1851, when
the census was taken. After its
completion, the old House of
Industry, which stood near it, & was
built for the city & other parishes,
incorporated under Gilbert's Act,
was sold for £400, & taken down in
This old house had as many as 248 inmates in 1801; 118 in 1811; 120 in 1821; & 101 in 1831, when the census was taken in those years. The expenditure of the Union in 1853 was £14,389; in 1854, £14,783; & in 1853, £15,140.
There are 91 Guardians, of whom 2 are elected yearly, for each of the parishes of St Martin & St Swithin, in Lincoln, & for Bardney & Metheringham parishes, & 1 for each of the other 83 parishes.
J W Danby esq,is the Union Clerk & Supt Reg. The Rev A F Padley, MA, is the union chaplain, & Mr Robert & Mrs Mary Finley are master & matron of the Workhouse ... There are 9 district surgeons.
Source: White Directory 1856 - p 63
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
The Workhouse at St Paul was erected 1838 at a cost of £11,000 from designs by William Adams Nicholson, pleasantly situated on the hill near the Asylum. Commodious and well arranged it could accommodate 269 inmates.
Considerable alterations were completed, and it was enlarged under the direction of Mr. Watkin, architect who added Childrens dormitory's, day rooms, school rooms and playgrounds. The whole alteration was completed in 1880 at a cost of about £12,000.
Outbreak of Fever at Scotherne
Lincoln Board of Guardians.
At a recent meeting of the Lincoln Board of Guardians, the sanitary state of Scotherne was alluded to, and a terrible state of things was revealed. The subject was introduced by Mr. Mantle, who said that he had requested Mr.Martin to accompany him to the village, and they, with Mr. Grimes and the Rev E.M.Barry, made an inspection of the place.
What they saw he should never forget. The village was full of fever cases, and no wonder. The beck was dried up, and the wells were filled with sewage matter. They went to one pump and found the water emitted an unbearable stench. He (Mr. Mantle) asked a woman if she drank the water from the well, and she replied that she did, but that it stank a bit, and there could be no doubt about that, for the well was full of pure sewage matter.
They went to another house, occupied by a widow and 5 children, the head of the family having died of fever last year. This family was now on the books of the Union. The house was built on a declivity; the pigsty, privy vault, and cesspool were quite full, and after a shower of rain, the contents were washed up to and past the door. The family were in an emaciated state, and one of the children was suffering from fever.
After inspecting that part of the village, they proceeded to the house of a man named Harrison, who, with his wife, were laid up with fever, and who, were both buried in one grave on Sunday last, leaving 5 children to be supported by the union. On the Wednesday the unfortunate couple were in the last stage of fever, and the villagers had such a dread of the disease, that none of them would enter the house, and the clergyman and relieving officer had to administer the medicine themselves. Harrison was the best workman in the parish. The cost to the union had already been £12, and at the lowest computation a cost of £600 would fall upon the union in maintaining the children, and probably they might remain paupers for life. This amount would have been sufficient to thoroughly drain the parish.
Mr. Marshall's foreman had since been stricken down with fever, and there were many other cases in the village. Mr.Mantle concluded by moving that the guardians put in full force the power vested in them by the Nuisances Removal Act, and that a committee be appointed to take action in all sanitary matters outside the city. They ought to thoroughly cleanse and drain every village in which fever existed. Fever had existed at Scotherne for two years, and he had noticed that his horse would never drink water at the place unless the beck was running. Mr. Mantle then read a special report drawn up by Dr. G.M.Lowe, of Lincoln and after some discussion, several guardians were appointed as a local authority to visit Scotherne and Ingham, and do what was necessary.
Source: The Builder 1869 Vol XXVII 11th September 1869 p.732
Submitted by Alan Longbottom.
The Local Government Act 1930 officially abolished Workhouses, and it became known as Burton Road Institution, however it has since been demolished.
Lincolnshire Archives, St Rumbold Street, Lincoln, LN2 5AB.
The Grimsby records are at the North Lincolnshire Archives in Grimsby.
March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 1999-2002. All rights reserved.