Following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834 Sleaford Union was declared 5th September 1836.
The Workhouse, Eastgate, on the Sleaford and Tattershall Road erected in 1838 at a cost of £4,000 and built of Ancaster stone in the tudor style from designs by William Donthorn of London and since enlarged to accommodate 180 inmates.
The Union comprises 131,777 acres of
land, divided into 56 parishes,
townships etc ... Its population
amounted, in 1831, to 19,905 souls;
in 1841, to 23,233; & in 1851, to
The Union Workhouse is in Eastgate, & is a handsome Elizabethan building, erected in 1838 at a cost of £4000. It has room for 253 paupers, & had 102 inmates in 1841, & 250 in 1851, when the census was taken. The total expenditure for the year ending Sept 1855, was £9870.15s.
The Board of Guardians meet every alternate Thursday at 11 in the morning. Charles Chaplin esq, is chairman, & the Rt Hon R C N Hamilton, MP, & John Tomlinson esq, vice-chairmen. Mr Edmund Clements is the Union Clerk & supt.reg; Mr James & Mrs Susan Day are master & matron of the Workhouse; the Rev Henry Manton, B A, chaplain; Thomas Arnold, schoolmaster; Mary Ann Pattinson, schoolmistress; & Richard Pearson, porter.
Source: White Directory 1856 - p 432
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
The Board of Guardians met alternate Mondays at the Workhouse at 10am.
UNION STAFF 1892
Edmund Clements, Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee
Rev. Alfred Langdon, Chaplain
Charles Frederick Bedford, Medical Officer
Joseph Morris, Master of the Workhouse
Mrs Jane Morris, Matron of the Workhouse
Source: Kelly's Directory
Lincolnshire Archives, St Rumbold Street, Lincoln, LN2 5AB.
The Grimsby records are at the North Lincolnshire Archives in Grimsby.
March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 1999-2002. All rights reserved.