Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteSpalding


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteSpalding



Following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834 Spalding Union was declared 16th November 1835.

The Union comprises 9 parishes, which extend over 60,652 acres of land, & had 21,290 inhabitants in 1851. 

The annual expenditure of the Union, for the support of the poor, was 4523 in 1838; 5358 in 1840; 9411 in 1854; & 8958 in the year ending Lady Day 1856. The average total annual expenditure of the 9 parishes during the 3 years preceding the formation of the Union in 1836, was 11,968. 

The Union Workhouse is a large brick building on the Pinchbeck Rd, erected in 1836. It was enlarged about 12 years ago, & now has room for 430 inmates, though it had only 142 in 1841, & 395 in 1851, when the census was taken. 
Source: White Directory 1856 - p 842
Submitted by Betty Longbottom

The Workhouse, a large red brick building about half a mile from the Town on the road to Pinchbeck was erected in 1835 from designs by Bryan Browning, architect to accommodate 400 inmates.

Ashley Maples esq, is the union clerk & supt.reg
Mr George & Mrs Catherine Craven, master & matron of the workhouse
Rev Michael Sisson, chaplain
Edward Brackenbury & Maria Melson, school  teachers
Jno Wilson, porter.
Source: White Directory 1856 - p 842
Submitted by Betty Longbottom

The Schools and Infirmary were separate from the main workhouse building, and the Children attended the Board School.

Harold Stanley Maples, Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee
Rev. Richard Guy M.A. Chaplain
Gilbert Lacy Barritt, Medical Officer
George Charlesworth Bimrose, Master of the Workhouse
Mrs Bimrose, Matron of the Workhouse

The Workhouse buildings were since demolished.

Lincolnshire Archives, St Rumbold Street, Lincoln, LN2 5AB.
The Grimsby records are at the North Lincolnshire Archives in Grimsby.

Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright Rossbret 1999-2002. All rights reserved.