STAMFORD Parish Workhouse
Noted in the Parish Registers of St Michael, Stamford.
|GREY William||October 29th 1770||56||Master of the Workhouse, Parish of St Michael, Stamford.|
|MOALES Bridget||1754||--||From the Workhouse - Dates obscured, but she died sometime before the baby|
|MOALES Ann||1754||Infant||From the Workhouse|
|BROWN John||July 3rd 1763||none||From the Workhouse|
|ROBINSON John||August 25th 1763||none||From the Workhouse|
|RICHARDSON William||March 2nd 1766||60||From the Workhouse|
|ELKINS Rossemonde||May 28th 1766||70||
From the Workhouse
|WADE Mary||November 19th 1766||21||From the Workhouse|
|MCKENZIE Alexander||December 20th 1770||71||From the Workhouse|
|MARCY Mary||April 9th 1773||60||From the Workhouse|
|BADLEY Anne||February 13th 1775||56||
(does not state from Workhouse)
|COLSON Samuel||March 30th 1779||35||From the Workhouse|
|GREY Margaret||October 18th 1779||faded||From the Workhouse|
|Source: Transcribed and Submitted by Keith Tinkler|
STAMFORD UNION WORKHOUSE
Following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834 Stamford Union was officially declared 2nd November 1835.
The Union comprises 36 parishes etc,
extending over 52,858 acres, &
having 19,755 inhabitants in 1851.
They extend into 4 counties. The
Union Workhouse was built in
1836/37, at the cost of £5000, & is
an extensive building in St Martin,
Stamford Baron, with room for about
260 inmates, though it had only 94
in 1841, & 186 in 1851, when the
census was taken.
Source: White Directory 1856 - p 882
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
The Workhouse in St Martin, a large brick building on Barnack Road, on the borders of the Welland and Burghley parks, was erected in 1836-37 from designs by Bryan Browning, architect at a cost of £5,000 and could accommodate 256 inmates.
The Board of Guardians meets every
Wednesday at 11 morning. Mr Jeremiah
Clayton is the union clerk & supt
reg. ... Mr John William Kirkby &
Mrs Sarah Ward are master & matron
of the Workhouse; the Rev John
Williams, chaplain; & William & Mary
Ann Houson, teachers of the
A new Union Workhouse was erected on Bourne Road in 1899 from designs by J.H. Morton, architect to accommodate 175 inmates.
Lincolnshire Archives, St Rumbold Street, Lincoln, LN2 5AB.
The Grimsby records are at the North Lincolnshire Archives in Grimsby.
March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 1999-2002. All rights reserved.
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret