Board day, alternate Thursdays at Union House, Edgware at 11.30am.
The Union comprises the following Parishes:
Edgware, Great Stanmore, Barrow on the Hill, Harrow Weald, Hendon, Kingsbury, Little Stanmore, Pinner, Wealdstone and Wembley.
The population of the Union in 1891 was 35,394, area 35,398 acres and rateable value (1898) £344,155.
|Clerk to Guardians and Assessment Committee||Frederick John Seabrook||Union Offices, Edgware|
|Superintendent Registrar||William Arthur Tootell||Edgware|
|Relieving Officer, Edgware District||Joseph Hawkins||24, Algernon Road, Hendon|
|Relieving Officer, Harrow District||Edward Robert Judd||6, Montrose Crescent, Wembley|
The Union workhouse is a handsome building at Red Hill, containing 100 inmates. The Board of Guardians meet every Thursday.
The Infant workhouse contains 75 inmates.
Source: Post Office 1846 - p 453
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
The Workhouse, Red Hill, a structure of brick, erected in 1835 and enlarged in
1883 to hold 283 inmates. Temporary building for 50 inmates were erected 1898.
There are now (1898) 350 inmates.
Source: Kelly's Directory 1898
Hendon Union School
Charles Clarenbone, School Master.
Mrs Elizabeth Clarenbone, School Mistress
Miss Jane E. Marlow, Matron
|Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.|
|Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.|
St. Saviours Home
For the feeble-minded , was erected in 1894 at a cost of £20,000, by the Rev. William Herbert Seddon M.A. now (1898) Vicar of Painswick, Gloucester; there are now here 20 boys and 16 young women
Hendon Poor Law Records
London Metropolitan Archives
40 Northampton Road,
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret