Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteRothbury


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteRothbury


Rothbury Union Workhouse

The Board of Guardians meet fortnightly on Mondays at the Board Room, at 1pm. The population of the Union in 1891 was 6,083, area 167,907 acres and rateable value in 1893 79,607.

The Union comprises the following places Alnham, Alwinton, Barrow, Bickerton, Biddleston, Brinkburn, Burradon, Caistron, Callaly, Cartington, Clenell, Coatyards, Elsdon, Ewesley, Fallolees, Fairhaugh, Fairnley, Farnham, Flotterton, Greenleighton, Harbottle, Hartington, Hartington Hall, Harwood, Healey, Hepple, Hesleyhurst, Hollinghill, Holystone, Kidland, Linbridge, Linsheels, Longframington, Lorbottle, Monkridge, Mount Healey, Netherton (North), Netherton (South), Newtown, Nunnykirk, Peels, Prendwick, Raw, Ritton Colt Park, Ritton White House, Rothbury, Rothley, Ryle (Great), Ryle (Little), Screnwood, Sharperton, Snitter, Thropton, Todburn, Tosson, Trewhitt, Unthank, Warton, Whittingham, Whitton, Wingates, Woodside and Wrieghill.

Union Officers 1893 (Kelly's Directory)
Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee Joseph R. Arkle
Treasurer Robert Farrage
Relieving Officer for the Union Charles Fk. E. Graham
Superintendent Registrar William Napier

The Workhouse was erected to hold 50 inmates. A school was erected 1902 in front of the workhouse, for use by both village and workhouse children. 


Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of  insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.
Rothbury 0 2 2
Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.


Workhouse Staff 1893 (Kelly's Directory)
Workhouse Master William Napier
Workhouse Matron Mrs Sarah Napier
Medical Officer John Semple Jack

During the war the buildings were taken over by the Army and used as a prisoner of war camp for Italian prisoners. When the war ended the workhouse became a Geriatric Home for Women and the school became a Residential school. Some years later the school buildings were converted into a private residence called Silverton Lodge. During the 1990's the workhouse was also converted to private residences.


Northumberland Record Office, 
Melton Park, 
North Gosforth, 
Newcastle upon Tyne 

Berwick-upon-Tweed Record Office, 
Borough Council Offices, 
Wallace Green, 
TD15 1ED

Tyne and Wear Archives Service, 
Blandford House, 
Blandford Square, 
Newcastle upon Tyne, 
NE1 4JA.


Page updated Wednesday March 12, 2008

Copyright Rossbret 1999-2005. All rights reserved.

If you have any information or photographs that you can add to this site, please email