The Union Workhouse is at Pulham St Mary Magdalen & was built in 1836/7, at the cost of £8240. It has room for 400 inmates, & had 130 in July 1841, but has a much larger number in winter. They are fed & clothed at the weekly cost of 2s.0+d per head. Mr John Hotson, of Long Stratton, is Union Clerk & Supt. Registrar, & Mr Thomas Mainey is master of the Workhouse. Messrs Robert Holmes, J Stanton & Richard Austin are the relieving officers. 7 surgeons are employed by the Union.
Source: White Directory1845 - p 699
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Depwade Workhouse, at Pulham Market became Hill House County Home, but has now been converted to Residential flats.
Records include Minutes 1836-1930, some admission & discharge registers, birth registers 1836-1866 and baptisms at the workhouse 1859.
Norfolk Record Office
Upper Green Lane
Telephone: 01603 761349 http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nroindex.htm
Norfolk Record Office; Records of Poor Law
Genuki Site of Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret