The Union Workhouse is at Docking, nearly in the centre of the Union, & is an extensive range of brick building, erected in 1836, at the cost of about £9000, including the furniture etc. It was opened in Dec 1836 & has room for 513 paupers, but in summer it has seldom more than 100.
H E Blyth esq is chairman of the Board of Guardians: Mr Fras Oakes, of Burnham Market, is Union Clerk & Supt. Registrar; Mr Thomas & Mrs Wilson, master & matron of the Workhouse; Mr William Groome, of Ringstead, & Mr J B Copeman, of North Creak, relieving officers; Mr W C Hotson, auditor; & the Rev C D Hamilton, chaplain.
Source: White Directory 1845 - p 633
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Link to Photo Album for photographs of Docking Union Workhouse
Dersingham Parish Workhouse
This photo shows two cottages built in carstone in the village of Dersingham,
Norfolk. The village borders the Queens estate at Sandringham and later became a
part of the Docking Union. The cottages are mid 17th century and could have been
West Hall Manor House they became the local workhouse and then turned into the
cottages they are now.
Docking Workhouse, at Docking has now been converted to Residential accommodation.
Records include Minutes 1836-1930, birth and death registers 1836 - 1913 and various committee minutes. Various registers for the Children's Home.
Norfolk Record Office
Upper Green Lane
Telephone: 01603 761349 http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nroindex.htm
Norfolk Record Office; Records of Poor Law
Genuki Site of Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret