Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteFlegg


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteFlegg



A House of Industry, for the reception of the poor, was erected at Rollesby in 1776, & enlarged in 1818 & 1834, so that it will now accommodate 400 paupers, though the number of inmates seldom amounts to 200, & in summer is generally less than 100. They are employed in spade husbandry & the manufacture of rope, twine, fishing nets, sacking etc.

This large workhouse, for a thinly populated district, is built in the form of the letter H, so as to admit of a complete separation of the two sexes. It is under the control of 48 guardians ... The number in the house in the quarter ended April 1844 was 156 & the number of out door paupers 796. The dietary system now in use has been introduced by the Poor Law Commissioners, who have here no further authority than the New Poor Law gives them in similar incorporations. 

The Rev W Lucas is chairman, & William Rising esq vice chairman of the Board of Directors & Guardians, to whom Mr Samuel B Cony, of Yarmouth, is clerk. Mr John Mountseer is supt. registrar & master of the workhouse; the Rev J Morton is chaplain, & Messrs W & J Cooper are the surgeons.

Source: White Directory 1845 - p 293
Submitted by Betty Longbottom


The workhouse for the Hundreds of East & West Flegg stands in this parish, on a declivity near the Broads. In 1836, it was partly destroyed by fire, (supposed to be the work of an incendiary), & its restoration cost about 2000. A fire engine is now kept on the premises.

Source: White Directory 1845 - p 305
Submitted by Betty Longbottom


The Workhouse has now been converted to Residential accommodation. Records include Minutes for various years.

Norfolk Record Office
Gildengate House
Anglia Square
Upper Green Lane
Telephone: 01603 761349 

Norfolk Record Office; Records of Poor Law

Genuki Site of Norfolk Poor Law Unions 

Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret