Freebridge Lynn Poor Law
Union and Workhouse
The Union Workhouse is at Gayton, and was built in 1836 by the architect William Donthorn. It was based on the square plan design and cost of £5146. It had room for 150 paupers, but seldom had more than from 70 to 100.
Thirty six guardians were elected yearly, two each for Castle Acre, Gaywood, Grimston & Great Massingham; and one each for the other parishes. The Union comprised the parishes of Ashwicken, Babingley, Bawsey, West Bilney, Castle Acre, Castle Rising, Congham, Flitcham with Appleton, Gayton, Gayton Thorpe, Gaywood, Grimston, Harpley, Hillington, Leziate, Great Massingham, Middleton, Mintlyn, West Newton, Pentney, Roydon, North Runcton, Sandringham, Setchey, West Walton, Westacre, East Winch, West Winch, Wolferton, North Wootton and South Wootton.
|Union Officers 1845|
|Clerks to the Board of Guardians||B. Aldham & Sons|
|Auditor||W. C. Hotson esq.|
|Workhouse Governor||Mr. John Barrett|
The Workhouse has now been redeveloped into private residential
accommodation, many of the buildings having been demolished.
Link to Photo Album with photographs of Freebridge Lynn Union Workhouse
Records include Minutes 1836-1930, and birth registers 1837-1935 in addition to various committee registers.
Norfolk Record Office
Upper Green Lane
Telephone: 01603 761349 http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nroindex.htm
Norfolk Record Office; Records of Poor Law
Genuki Site of Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Kelly's Directory 1890
White Directory 1845 - p 585 Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret