The Guiltcross Union Workhouse is at Kenninghall, & was built in 1836, at the cost of £4727, including the purchase of the land, furniture etc. It is a commodious brick building, & has room for 350 inmates, but has seldom more than half that number in summer, & had only 190 in Dec 1844. Mr Samuel Coley, of Attleborough, is Union Clerk; Mr Thomas
Turner, of Kenninghall, is Supt. Registrar; & Mr Thomas Rackham is Registrar of Marriages & master of the Workhouse.
Source: White Directory 1845 - p 421
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Genuki site, with White Directory extract
Guiltcross Workhouse has now been converted to Residential accommodation.
Records include Minutes 1836-1899.
Norfolk Record Office
Upper Green Lane
Telephone: 01603 761349 http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nroindex.htm
Norfolk Record Office; Records of Poor Law
Genuki Site of Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret