LODDON & CLAVERING UNION
The House of Industry at Heckingham, with room for about 500 paupers, was adopted as the Union Workhouse in 1836, when it was much injured by fire, supposed to have been occasioned by an incendiary. It was repaired, altered, & enlarged, at the cost of £3145, & now has room for 600 paupers, but it has seldom more than half that number, & in summer only about 150.
J Kerrick esq is chairman of the Board of Guardians; James Copeman esq, of Loddon, is union clerk & supt. registrar; the Rev W Hobson, chaplain; Messrs J H Wooltorton & E Easter are relieving officers; & Mr John Brigham & wife are master & matron of the workhouse. 5 surgeons are employed by the Union, & the average weekly cost per week, per head, of the indoor poor, is 2s.4d for food & 5+d for clothing.
Source: White Directory 1845 - p 805
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Loddon and Clavering Workhouse became Hales Hospital.
Records include Minutes 1836-1930, comprehensive admission and discharge registers, birth and death registers and various committee minutes.
Norfolk Record Office
Upper Green Lane
Telephone: 01603 761349 http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nroindex.htm
Norfolk Record Office; Records of Poor Law
Genuki Site of Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Hales Hospital, a history: workhouse to hospital. John Bilyard
Norwich: Norwich Health Authority, 1987
Hales Hospital: Thirty Years of Friendship. John Bilyard
The Friends of Hales Hospital: c1991
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret