In 25 George 111 a House of Industry was erected, which was altered & a little enlarged in 1836, & has room for about 500 paupers. Attached to this large Workhouse is 24A of arable land ...
John Postle esq, is chairman, & Mr Jno Barnard is clerk to the Board of Guardians & Directors. Mr Washington Smith is master of the Workhouse & Supt. Registrar. The Rev Thomas Dix is chaplain & Messrs James Bean & Robert Risin are relieving officers & registrars of births & deaths.
Source: White Directory 1845 - p 474
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Tunstead and Happing Union became Smallburgh Union in 1870. The Workhouse has now been demolished.
Records include Minutes 1836-1930, in addition to various other registers.
Norfolk Record Office
Upper Green Lane
Telephone: 01603 761349 http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nroindex.htm
Norfolk Record Office; Records of Poor Law
Genuki Site of Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret