ST FAITH'S UNION
Has for its Workhouse the old House of Industry at Horsham St Faith, which was built in 1805 for Coltishal & other parishes. This house has 10 acres of land attached to it & has been altered since 1836, at the cost of about £1000. It has room for 330 inmates, but has seldom so many as 200.
Fras John Blake esq, of Norwich, is Union Clerk & Supt. Registrar; W C Hotson esq, auditor; Rev A S Warner, chaplain; Messrs William Durrant & Richard Richards, relieving officers; & Mr T C Swann & wife, master & matron of the workhouse. John Longe esq is chairman of
the Board of Guardians. The Union is divided into 2 districts, & employs 5 surgeons.
Source: White Directory 1845 - p 778
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
St Faith's Workhouse has been demolished, with only the Workhouse Chapel remaining.
Records include Minutes 1805-1930.
Norfolk Record Office
Upper Green Lane
Telephone: 01603 761349 http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nroindex.htm
Norfolk Record Office; Records of Poor Law
Genuki Site of Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret