Thetford Union, formed by the new poor law commissioners in 1835, comprises
These 34 parishes comprise an area of 180 sq miles, & a population of 17,542 souls, of whom 11,051 are in Norfolk, & 6491 in Suffolk. Their average annual expenditure for the support of
their poor, during the 3 years preceding the formation of the Union, was £10,408, but in 1838 it amounted only to £6188, & in 1840 to £6953.18s.
The Union Workhouse, erected in 1836, at the cost of about £5000, stands in St Mary's parish, Thetford, but within the bounds of Suffolk, about half a mile from the town, on the Bury Road. It is an extensive brick building, & its boundary walls enclose 3 acres of land. It has room for 300 inmates, but has seldom half that number, having only 83 in July 1841, & 110 in Sept 1843.
The Board consists of 43 Guardians, C Fison esq, is chairman, & R Webb esq, vice chairman. William Clarke esq, is union clerk & supt. registrar, C W Hotson esq, auditor, & Mr John Lucas, master of the Workhouse. The relieving officers & district registrars are Mr Denny Smith for Thetford District, & Mr John Sharpe for Methwold District.
Source: White Directory 1844 - p 707
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Records include Minutes 1835-1930.
Norfolk Record Office
Upper Green Lane
Telephone: 01603 761349 http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nroindex.htm
Norfolk Record Office; Records of Poor Law
Genuki Site of Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret