The 25 parishes of the Union, comprise an area of about 60,000 acres & had 11,168 inhabitants in 1841, of whom 5510 were males, & 5658
females. Their average annual expenditure, from 1832 to 1835, was £9450; & for the 3 years ending March 1839, £4426. Their expenditure
for the year ended June 1844, was £1747.
The Union Workhouse is at Rockland All Saints, & was built in 1836, at the cost of about £4000. It has room for 300 inmates, but in summer has seldom half that number. Mr Samuel Caley, of Attleborough, is Union Clerk & Supt. Registrar; Mr Ezekiel Page is master of the Workhouse.
Source: White Directory 1845 - p 362
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Wayland Workhouse, became Wayland Hospital, which is now closed.
Records include Minutes 1836-1900, birth registers 1837 - 1913 and various committee minutes.
Norfolk Record Office
Upper Green Lane
Telephone: 01603 761349 http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nroindex.htm
Norfolk Record Office; Records of Poor Law
Genuki Site of Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Link to Kelly's Directory for Wayland Union
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret