The Parish of Great Yarmouth was constituted as a Union under the New Poor Law Act, in March 1837, & authorised to expend £7100 in the erection of anew Workhouse, which stands on the North Denes, & is a commodious brick building, with room for 400 paupers. The old Workhouse which sometimes had more than 300 inmates formed, with the Children's Hospital, the remains of the ancient Hospital of St Mary, & was rented of the Corporation ... The Board of Guardians consists of 16 members & Mr J L Cufaude is their clerk. Messrs T THornton, W Sims & H Pickard are collectors & relieving officers; J Bayly & F N Palmer, surgeons; Robert Rising esq, of Horsey, auditor; D Turner esq, treasurer; Mr James & Mrs Kemp, master & matron of the Workhouse; & William & Harriet West, schoolmaster & mistress. Mr Henry Palmer, of Regent Street, is supt. registrar ...
Source: White Directory 1845 - p 263
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Hospitals in Great Yarmouth
Great Yarmouth Workhouse, became Northgate Hospital.
Records include Minutes 1836-1930, and various committee minutes. Various registers for the Children's Home.
Norfolk Record Office
Upper Green Lane
Telephone: 01603 761349 http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/council/departments/nro/nroindex.htm
Norfolk Record Office; Records of Poor Law
Genuki Site of Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret