Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteEast Retford


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteEast Retford


East Retford Union

Following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834 East Retford Union was officially declared 7th June 1836. 

The Union comprised the parishes of Askham, Babworth, Barnby Moor, Bevercotes, Bothamsall, Clarborough, Clayworth, Cottam, Darlton, East Drayton, West Drayton, Dunham, Eaton, Elksley. Everton, Fledborough, Gamston, Gringley-on-the-Hill, Grove, Habblesthorpe, Hayton, Headon, Houghton, Laneham, South Leverton, North Leverton with Habblesthorpe, Littleborough, Lound, Markham Clinton, East Markham, Marnham, Mattersey, Normanton, Ordsall, Ragnall, Rampton, Ranskill, East Retford, North Retford, West Retford, Scaftworth, Scrooby, Stokeham, Sturton, Sutton, Torworth, Treswell, Tuxford, North Wheatley, South Wheatley, Wiseton.

The Workhouse, a brick building was erected 1836 to 1838 at Spital Hill from designs by H. J. Whitling, architect. 

Thomas William Denman, Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee and Superintendent Registrar.
Frederick Ashley, Collector for the Guardians
William C. Waine, Master
Mrs S. Waine, Matron
Rev. A. F. Ebsworth, Chaplain
George Thomson, Medical Officer

The population in 1891 was 23,679, area 92,772 acres and rateable value in 1899 176,901. The Board of Guardians met alternate Saturdays at 11am, at the Workhouse. 

Relieving Officer -
North District 1899
William Elsom
Relieving Officer -
South District 1899
William Peck Smith

Nottinghamshire Archives
County House
Castle Meadow Road
Telephone: +44 [0]115 958 1634

Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright Rossbret 1999-2002. All rights reserved.