Following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834 Mansfield Union was declared 6th June 1836.
The Union comprised the parishes of Ault Hucknall, Blackwell, Blidworth, Fulwood, Glapwell, Heywood Oaks, Hucknall Huthwaite, Lyndhurst, Mansfield, Mansfield Woodhouse, Pinxton, Pleasley, Scarcliff, Skegby, Sookholme, South Normanton, Sutton-in-Ashfield, Teversal, Tibshelf, Upper Langwith, Warsop.
The Workhouse at Stockwell Gate, a building of stone was built in 1835 to 1837 from designs by Sampson Kempthorne, architect. It could accommodate 297 inmates and had an additional infirmary erected in 1865 for 85 patients. The Board of Guardians met Thursdays fortnightly at 11am at the Workhouse Board Room to discuss Union matters.
The population of the Union in 1891 was 55,296, area 57,810 acres and rateable value in 1899 £240,252.
UNION STAFF 1899
George Hudson Hibbert, Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee also Superintendent Registrar.
Relieving Officers and Collectors to the Guardians;
1st District - Edward Plumbridge, Stockwell Gate, Mansfield
2nd District - John Gamble, Sutton-in-Ashfield
3rd District - Thomas Gelsthorpe, Tibshelf
Joseph Hammond, Master of the Workhouse
Mrs Annie Hammond, Matron of the Workhouse
Prebendary Alfred Pavey, Chaplain
Ernest Martyn, Medical Officer
The Infirmary at
the Workhouse was named Victoria Hospital from 1897, but was administered
by the Poor Law Guardians. The 1899 Ordnance Survey Map of Mansfield, shows Stockwell Gate extending right down to the Mansfield Union Workhouse and Hospital (to become the Victoria Hospital). The road continued in 1899 as the Sutton Road.
Castle Meadow Road
Telephone: +44 115 958 1634
Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 1999-2002. All rights reserved.