Bridgnorth Workhouse and Poor Law Union
The Board of Guardians meet every alternate Saturday at the Workhouse, at
11am. The population of the Union in 1891 was 14,927, area 68,879 acres and
rateable value in 1900 £98,690.
The Union comprises the following Parishes;
Acton Round, Alveley, Astley Abbotts, Aston Eyre, Billingsley, Burwarton, Chelmarsh, Chetton, Claverley, Cleobury North, Deuxhill, Ditton Priors, Eardington, Glazeley, Middleton Scriven, Monkhopton, Morville, Neenton, Oldbury, Quatford, Quatt Jervis, Quatt, Malvern, Romsley, St Leonard (Bridgnorth), St Mary Magdalene (Bridgnorth), Sidbury, Stanton Long, Tasley, Upton Cressent and Worfield.
|Union Officers 1900|
|Chairman of the Board of Guardians||Lieut. Col. Edward Maltby Wakeman|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee, also Superintendent Registrar, also Coroner for Bridgnorth and Stottesdon Divisions of Salop.||Roger Frederick Haslewood|
|Relieving and Vaccination Officer, Eastern and Western District||George William Cook|
The Workhouse, Innage Lane, a building of brick, to hold 200 inmates.
|Workhouse Staff 1900|
|Workhouse Master||Richard Cooper|
|Workhouse Matron||Mrs Jane Cooper|
|Assistant Matron||Miss Fanny Cooper|
|Chaplain||Rev. Henry Parsons|
|Medical Officer||William Rhodes L.R.C.P.Edin.|
The Shropshire Records and Research Centre,
Shrewsbury SY1 2AQ
Telephone: +44 (0)1743 255350
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret