Cleobury Mortimer Workhouse and Poor Law Union
The Board of Guardians meet alternate Wednesdays at the workhouse at 11am. The population of the Union in 1891 was 8,163, area 57,652 acres, and rateable value in 1900 £52,230.
Cleobury Mortimer Union comprises the parishes of Aston Botterell, Cleobury Mortimer, Coreley, Farlow, Highley, Hopton Wafers, Kinlet, Loughton, Milson, Neen Savage, Neen Solars, Silvington, Stottesdon, Wheathill, Woodhouse, Bayton, Rock and Mamble.
|Union Officers 1900|
|Chairman of the Board of Guardians||G. H. F. Hingley|
|Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee||William Rose|
|Relieving Officer to the Union||John Francis Page|
|Superintendent Registrar||William Rose|
The workhouse, a building of stone, situated about a quarter of a mile from the Town, and will hold 150 inmates.
|Workhouse Staff 1900|
|Chaplain||Rev. John Henry Farquhar|
|Medical Officer||John Pole Kitson|
|Workhouse Master||Edwin Freeman|
|Workhouse Matron||Mrs Ellen Freeman|
The Shropshire Records and Research Centre,
Shrewsbury SY1 2AQ
Telephone: +44 (0)1743 255350
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret