Selattyn - A History of the Parish Chapter V p311
by Hon Mrs Bulkeley-Owen
p 313 Robert Lloyd, in his will dated 15th September 1791, describes himself as of Oswestry. The very fine house he built there, which was known as The Big House, is now divided into tow dwellings; part of it was bought for a Vicarage in 1871. The Register of Sellatyn supplies us with the date of its building - Mr Robert Lloyd's house adjoining the Churchyard in Oswestry was begun in 1776 and finished in 1779.
In 1791, when the Oswestry Incorporation decided to erect the House of Industry at Morda, the directors were in treaty with Robert Lloyd Esquire and Robert Lloyd the younger Esquire for the purchase of Llwynymapsis Mill.
Source: Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological and
Natural History Society 1878
Submitted by Alan Longbottom
The Board of Guardians meet every alternate Monday at the workhouse at 2pm. The population of the Union in 1891 was 27,423, area 84,080 acres and rateable value in 1900 £203,341.
The Incorporation comprises the following parishes;
Chirk, Kinnerley, Knockin, Llansilin, Llanyblodwel, Llwyntidman & Treprenal, Oswestry Parish Urban, Oswestry Parish Rural, Ruyton-of-the-Eleven Towns, St Martins, Selattyn, Sychtyn, West Felton, Weston Rhyn and Whittington.
|Officers to the Incorporation 1900|
|Chairman of the Board of Guardians||W. Griffiths|
|Clerk to the Guardians||John Christopher Bull|
|Assistant Clerk to the Guardians & Clerk to the Assessment Committee||Charles Herbert Bull|
|Treasurer||Frederick George Buller Swete|
|Relieving Officer - Upper Division||Percy Charles Hines|
|Relieving Officer - Lower Division||W. R. Reynolds|
|Superintendent Registrar||John Christopher Bull|
The Workhouse is an extensive and well built range of
buildings, composed chiefly of brick, situated at Morda, about 1 mile from the
Town. It was erected in 1790 and will hold 300 inmates. The Tramp wards are
modern and on the separate system.
A hospital for infectious diseases, built on the most modern principles of hygienic science, is situated about 100 yards from the main building and contains 16 beds
|Workhouse Staff 1900|
|Chaplain||Rev. Walter D. Williams|
|Medical Officer||John Peploe Cartwright M.R.C.S.|
|Workhouse Master||George Fulcher|
|Workhouse Matron||Mrs Mary Fulcher|
|Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.|
|Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.|
The Shropshire Records and Research Centre,
Shrewsbury SY1 2AQ
Telephone: +44 (0)1743 255350
Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 1999-2005. All rights reserved.
If you have any information or photographs that you can add to this site, please email email@example.com