Wem Workhouse and Poor Law Union
The Board of Guardians meet alternate Thursdays at the Board
Room, Workhouse, at 10.30am. The area of the Union is 52,451 acres, the
population in 1891 was 10,119 and the rateable value in 1900 £90,955.
The Union comprises the following parishes;
Broughton, Clive, Gronshill, Lee Brockhurst, Loppington, Moreton Corbet, Prees, Shawbury, Stanton-upon-Hine Heath, Wem, Weston & Whixhill-under-Redcastle & Whixhall.
|Union Officers 1900|
|Chairman of the Board of Guardians||J. M. Kilvert|
|Clerk to the Board of Guardians and Assessment Committee||Walt. Sutton Salt|
|Relieving and Vaccination Officer for the Union||Benjamin George Stokes|
|Superintendent Registrar||Walter Sutton Salt|
The Workhouse, Creamore, a structure of brick, erected in 1837 and will hold 95 inmates. The Children attend the National School.
|Workhouse Staff 1900|
|Medical Officer||George Hawson Keyworth|
|Chaplain||Rev. Henry Evelyn Postlethwaite|
|Workhouse Master||William Francis Belliss|
|Workhouse Matron||Mrs May Belliss|
The Shropshire Records and Research Centre,
Shrewsbury SY1 2AQ
Telephone: +44 (0)1743 255350
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret