Alstonfield Gilbert Union
The Parish of Alstonfield maintains its own poor, under
Gilbert's Act (22 Geo.3,c.83.), in the parish workhouse, conjointly with Butterton, Grindon and
Wetton, independently from Leek Union.
This parish comprises the Townships of;
Alstonfield, Elkstone (Lower), Elkstone (Upper), Fawfield-Head, Heathy-Lee, Hollins-Clough, Longnor (a small market town 6 miles north-north-west), Quarnford and Warslow. The Incorporation contains 10,469 acres, and a population in 1861 of 1,799.
The Parish Clerk in 1868 was Richard Seddon, and the Workhouse Master William Fowler.
Alstonfield Gilbert Union was dissolved in 1869, when Butterton and Grindon became part of Leek Union in Staffordshire.
Staffordshire Record Office
Telephone: U.K. 01785 278379
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret