Burton Upon Trent Workhouse and Poor Law Union
Board day, alternate Thursday at the Workhouse at 10.30am.
The Burton upon Trent poor law Union, formed in 1837, is very extensive, comprising the following Parishes:
Anslow, Barton under Needwood, Branstone, Burton Extra, Burton upon Trent, Foston & Scropton, Hanbury, Horninglow, Tatenhill, Tutbury & Wichnor, Ash, Barton Blount, Bearwardcote, Bretby, Burnaston, Castle Gresley, Catton, Cauldwell, Church Broughton, Church Gresley, Coton in the Elms, Dalbury with Lees, Drakelow, Dunstall, Egginton & Etwall, Findern, Formark, Hatton, Hilton, Hoon, Ingleby, Linton, Lullington, Marston on Dove, Mickleover, Newton Solney, Osleston & Thurveston, Radbourne, Repton, Rolleston, Rosliston, Stanton & Newhall, Stapenhill, Stretton, Sutton on the Hill, Swadlincote, Trusley, Twyford & Stenson, Walton upon Trent, Willington & Winshill.
The population of the Union in 1891 was 83,533; area 88,208 acres and rateable value in 1895 £536,319.
Staff employed by Union 1896
|Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee||Charles Frederick Chamberlin, Union Office, Burton on Trent.|
|Treasurer||Edwin Atkin Brown, High Street, Burton on Trent.|
|Relieving Officer; Northern District||Francis Shaw, Repton.|
|Relieving Officer; Southern District||Henry Ward, 64 Horninglow Street, Burton on Trent.|
|Collector of Poor Rates||John Charles Codling, Hilton.|
|Collector of Poor Rates||Thomas Brown, Repton.|
|Collector of Poor Rates||John Smedley, Newhall.|
|Collector of Poor Rates||William Shilton, Union Street, Burton on Trent.|
|Collector of Poor Rates||Thomas Shelly, Hawkins Lane, Burton on Trent|
|Collector of Poor Rates||William Carter, Tatenhill.|
|Collector of Poor Rates||Thomas Radford, Mickleover|
|Collector of Poor Rates||H. J. Hudson, Winshill|
|Collector of Poor Rates||James Bates, Anslow|
|Collector of Poor Rates||J. Holdsworth, Barton under Needwood|
|Collector of Poor Rates||James A. Smith, Cross Street, Burton on Trent|
|Collector of Poor Rates||J. Martin, Hanbury|
|Collector of Poor Rates||John Gretton, Stretton|
|Collector of Poor Rates||T. H. Oakden, Tutbury|
|Collector of Poor Rates||E. Adams, Church Gresley|
|Collector of Poor Rates||Edwin Eyley, Castle Gresley|
|Collector of Poor Rates||C. Tye, Linton|
|Superintendent Registrar||Alfred Coxon, 49 Union Street.|
The Workhouse in Dallow Lane, is a large building of red brick in the Queen Anne style, erected from designs by Mr. J. H. Morton, of South Shields, at a cost of upwards of £40,000, and was opened in the year 1884. It is built on the pavilion principle, each department being entirely separate from the others.
There are wards and rooms for all kinds of paupers, with Infirmary and Schools. In the centre wing are vagrant wards and cells and also Board committee rooms and offices. The Masters residence is situated in the centre of the enclosure, together with a large dining room (60 by 35 feet) and in the rear are kitchens.
The House will hold 554 inmates.
Staff at the Workhouse in 1896
|Rev. William Frederick Drury, M.A.||Chaplain since 1871.
Vicar of Holy Trinity
|Alfred Hooper||Medical Officer|
|Mrs Edith Ashwood||Matron|
|Miss Eliza J. Brooks||Schoolmistress|
Link to Photographs of Burton upon Trent Union Workhouse
Records for Burton Upon Trent Union are held by Burton Upon Trent Library:
These records include Minutes 1837-1930
Birth Registers 1837-1879
Death Registers 1837-1879
Admission & Discharge Registers 1881-1930
Kelly's Directory 1896
Page updated 12 March, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 2001. All rights reserved.