Dudley Union Workhouse
Dudley Union comprises the following Parishes: Dudley, Dudley Castle Hill, Coseley, Rowley Regis, Sedgley and Tipton
The population in 1911 was 159,203
Chairman of the Board of Guardians - Simeon Webb, 37 Burnt Tree, Tipton.
Union Offices at St James' Road, Dudley.
Clerk to the Guardians - Theodore W. Quarmby.
The Poor Law Institution at Burton Road, Sedgley, Staffordshire erected in 1859 is a structure of brick and will hold 842 inmates.
Rev A. J. Bennett B.A. - Chaplain
Samuel William Cumming - Medical Officer
Percy Hopkin - Master of Workhouse
Delsie Hopkin - Matron of Workhouse
1896 Kelly's Directory states:
Rev. Samuel Thomas Tozer (Vicar of St John's, Tipton) Chaplain.
Thomas Frederick Higgs - Medical Officer
James Jones - Master
Miss Annie Jones - Matron
Alexander Frizelle - Schoolmaster.
Children chargeable to the Dudley Union are accommodated in 3 separate Homes. The central Home is at Dibdale House, Dibdale Road, Dudley. Mr. and Mrs J.H. Hayward are the Superintendents.
Source: Kelly's Directory 1921
LINK to photograph of Dudley Workhouse
Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 2001. All rights reserved.