Lichfield Union Workhouse
The Lichfield Poor Law Union was founded in 1836. The workhouse of St Mary's Parish and the workhouse in Rugeley were maintained as Union Workhouses for a time.
A new Union Workhouse was erected in 1840 on Trent Valley Road, based on a Tudor Design by G. G. Scott and W. B. Moffatt. Casual Wards were added in 1874, and an Infirmary was built in 1893.
The workhouse became St Michaels Hospital and remains to this Day.
Link to Lichfield Workhouse in the photograph album.
Lichfield Record Office
Telephone: U.K. 01543 510720
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret