Board day, every alternate Tuesday, at the Board room, Workhouse, Stone
The Union comprises the following places:
Barlaston, Chebsey, Cold Norton, Eccleshall, Florence, Milwich, Normacot, Sandon, Standon, Swynnerton, Stone Urban, Stone Rural and Trentham.
The population in 1891 was 31,752; area 69,781 acres; rateable value in 1895 £183,017.
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||John Buckley Norris, M.A., High Street, Stone|
|Collector's of Poor Rates||Alfred Evans,jun, Stone|
|Collector's of Poor Rates||Arthur Ibbs, Chebsey, Eccleshall.|
|Collector to the Guardians||W. J. Farlow, Oulton Cross.|
|Relieving Officer, Eccleshall District||William Addison Wood, Eccleshall.|
|Relieving Officer, Stone District||John Ibbs, jun. Barlaston.|
|Superintendent Registrar||John Buckley Norris, M.A.|
The Workhouse, a brick building on the west side of the Town, was formerly the House of Industry for the whole Parish, and at the formation of the Union, a Chapel and other buildings were added, rendering it sufficiently large for the reception of 300 inmates. The Hospital attached was enlarged in the year 1879.
Staff at the Workhouse in 1896 included, Rev. E. A. Brisco Owen M.A., Chaplain. Horace Hartley, Master. Mrs Mary Eastaugh, Matron. Miss S. E. Keeling, Nurse.
|Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.|
|Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.|
Records for Stone Union are held by Stafford Record Office, including Minutes 1837-1930. Very few records containing details of Individuals have survived.
Stafford Record Office
Telephone: U.K. 01785 278379
Kelly's Directory 1896
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret