Board day, alternate Wednesday at the Town Hall at 11.00am. Clerk to the
Guardians and Assessment Committee, Frank Sutton Hawthorn, Market Place,
Collector to the Guardians and Relieving Officer for the Union, Frank Udale, Sunnyside Heath, Uttoxeter.
Superintendent Registrar, Charles Henry Cowlishaw, High Street.
The Union comprises the following places:- Abbot's Bromley, Blithfield, Boylston, Bramshall, Croxden, Cubley, Doveridge, Draycott-in-the-Clay, Field, Gratwich, Kingstone, Leigh, Marchington, Marchington Woodlands, Marston Montgomery, Newborough, Norbury & Roston, Rocester, Somersal Herbert, Sudbury, and Uttoxeter.
The population of the Union in 1891 was 14,616; area 65,443 acres and rateable value in 1895 £129,223.
The Workhouse, Heath, erected in 1788 and re-erected in 1840 from designs by G. Gilbert Scott and W. Bonython Moffatt, at a cost of £3,900, is a substantial edifice of brick, covering an area of 3 roods and will hold 126 inmates.
In 1896 the Master and Matron were Mr. William & Mrs Sarah Raynor.
The cemetery, laid out in 1861, occupies a site of about 3 acres on the Stafford Road, west of the Town; there are two mortuary Chapels in the gothic style, erected with a lodge, from designs by Mr. B. Wilson, architect of Derby, and costing altogether £1,333, the cost of the site and laying out being £671 17s. 2d. it is under the control of the Parish Council.
Records for Uttoxeter Union are held by Stafford Record Office, including Minutes 1847-1930. Unfortunately, no records regarding Individuals have survived.
Stafford Record Office
Telephone: U.K. 01785 278379
Kelly's Directory 1896
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret