Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteBosmere


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteBosmere


Bosmere and Claydon Poor Law Union and Workhouse

The Bosmere & Claydon Union Workhouse was built in 1766 on an "H"-plan, made a Union House in 1835 and extended to accommodate 500.

It housed 429 in 1831, 183 in 1841, 413 in 1851 and 85 in 1891. By 1912 the Bosmere and Claydon RDC was meeting in the Union house every 4 weeks on a Friday. The building was partially derelict by 1975.

In 1803, 115 children attended school in the House of Industry. By 1818 this was 150, and in 1833, 120, A schoolmaster and mistress were recorded in the
workhouse school in 1844.

In 1837, a "Description of Barham Workhouse, Suffolk, as given by Mr John Jay" was written in typescript. It should be available at Ipswich Record Office.
Bosmere and Claydon Union Workhouse compiled by Andy Kerridge


The Workhouse for the Bosmere & Claydon Union was erected in 1766, at the cost of about 10,000. It was made a union house, under the new poor law, in 1835, & about 200 was expended in alterations. 

It has room for about 500 inmates, & had 198 in 1811; 489 in 1821; 429 in 1831; & 183 in 1841. It is a spacious brick building, divided into 6 wards. 

Mr Crisp Howard is the master, & Mrs Howard, matron. Mr Jacob Peele Bray, of Ipswich, is Clerk to the Board of Guardians; Frederick Hayward esq, of Needham Market, is Supt. Registrar.
Source: White Directory 1844 - p 222 Submitted by Betty Longbottom

Page last updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret