Bury St Edmunds
Bury St Edmunds ~ old workhouse building
Comprises only the Borough. Its Workhouse, in College St, was built many years ago, & has room for 200 inmates, & had about 170 in March
1843; but its average number is about 100.
Its expenditure for the support of the poor, in 1837, was £6627. 6 Guardians are elected for
each of its 2 parishes. John Cambridge esq is the Union Clerk; & Mr Thomas Leggwe is master of the Workhouse. The 2 parishes of Bury were united for the support of their poor, by an Act of Parliament passed in 1746.
Source: White Directory 1844 - p 602
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret