Ipswich Union comprises 14 parishes ... Mr Grimsey is clerk to the Board of Guardians. The Union Workhouse, on the Wherstead Rd, near the west bank of the Orwell, is an extensive brick building, erected about 5 years ago, on the radiating plan, with the governor's house in the
centre, commanding a view of all the wards. It cost upwards of £6000 & has accommodations for 400 paupers.
Mr Robert Clamp is the governor, & Mrs Clamp the matron. The total expenditure of the 14 parishes, for the relief of the poor, during the 3 years before they were united, averaged about £13,000 per annum, but it has since averaged only about £10,000 per annum. In March 1843, there were about 330 paupers in the workhouse, who were fed & clothed at the average weekly cost of 2s.9+d per head; & during the preceding 3 months, no fewer than 2090 out- door paupers were relieved, at the cost of £1675.16s.1d.
Source: White Directory 1844 - p 51
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret