The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor, during the 3 years preceding the formation of the Union in 1835 was £5978; but in 1838, it amounted only to £4175; & in 1840, to £4026.19s.
The old Workhouse at Mildenhall was altered & enlarged in 1836, at the expense of the Union. It has room for 110 paupers, but has seldom more than from 20 to 50 inmates. The board consists of 16 guardians, 4 chosen from Mildenhall, & 1 for each of the other parishes. George Gataker esq is chairman; William Newton esq, vice chairman; W Isaacson esq, union clerk & supt.registrar; Thomas Cross, master of the Workhouse; the Rev J H Raven, chaplain; & Mr Thomas Robinson, relieving officer.
Source: White Directory 1844 - p 594
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret