Its expenditure for the support of the poor, in 1838, was £7768, & in 1841, £7754.9s. The average annual expenditure of the 34 parishes, during the 3 years preceding the formation of the Union, was £14,919.
The Union Workhouse, standing on an eminence in the parish of Onehouse, more than 1+ miles W of Stowmarket, was erected in 1781, as a House of Industry for the 14 parishes of Stow Hundred, which were incorporated under Gilbert's Act. It cost more than £12,000 & was described in 1810, as having more the appearances of a gentleman's seat than a receptacle for paupers.
Its internal arrangement has been considerably altered since the formation of the Prest Union, in 1835, to afford a better classification of the inmates, of whom it had 235 in 1821; 189 in 1831; but only 91 in 1841, so that it appears to have fewer paupers from 34, than it had from 14 parishes. They are maintained at the average weekly cost of 2s.4d per head. Each parish in the Union returns 1 guardian, except Stowmarket, which returns 2. Mr Edward & Mrs Ablit are master & matron of the Workhouse; Mr E R Buchanan, of Stowmarket, is Clerk to the Board of Guardians, & also Supt. Registrar, ... The Relieving Officers are E Knevett, C B Law, & C M Burcham.
Source: White Directory 1844 - p 265
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret