CHERTSEY UNIONThe Union workhouse contains 180 inmates. Thomas Dyson, master; Mrs Dyson, matron; Joseph Tomlinson, relieving officer.
The workhouse was at Ottershaw. A girls receiving home was added alongside the boys in 1912. It was renamed Murray House in 1930 and handed
over to Surrey County Council Mental Hospitals Committee in 1932.
Source: Submitted by Mary Hallett
|Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.|
|Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.|
Surrey History Service
130 Goldsworth Road,
Telephone: (01483) 594594
Fax: (01483) 594595
Web Site http://shs.surreycc.gov.uk/
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret