Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteChichester


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteChichester


Chichester Poor Law Union and Workhouse

The Union workhouse has 128 inmates. Edward Gilbert, master.  
Post Office Directory 1846 p.650
Submitted by Betty Longbottom  


Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of  insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.
Chichester 1 1 2
Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.


West Sussex Record Office
County Hall
West Sussex PO19 1RN
Tel: 01243 753600 

Chichester Library Information

The archivist at Chichester Library, Tower Street,
Chichester, stated that the WH is now Cawley Almshouses. Built in 1625 and converted to a Parish Workhouse in 1681. Became a Poorhouse for 8 parishes in 1753 (presumably under Gilbert's Act) and in 1851 had 124 inmates.
The building is located in Broyle Road, Chichester, and has a clock and a plaque on the front, and a small bell tower. 

Record Office Information

Information from West Sussex Record Office
Seventeenth century almshouses erected by William Cawley were used as the Chichester Workhouse with additions being added at the back.  The Workhouse is located on the Broyle Road, to the north of the city centre (near the Festival
Theatre).  The buildings were used for a time by the Health Service as headquarters of Chichester Hospital Group Management Committee and as a hospital laundry.  The Cawley Almshouses are still standing and are a Grade II listed building.  The Health Service is no longer using the buildings and a planning application has recently been made for them to be converted into residential accommodation. 
Richard Childs
County Archivist
West Sussex Record Office
County Hall
West Sussex  PO19 1RN.


Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret