Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteEast Preston


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteEast Preston


East Preston [Incorporation (1791-1869)] Union

The East Preston (Incorporation) Workhouse was originally erected 1792. East Preston became a Union in 1869 and the Workhouse was rebuilt in 1872. The Union comprises the following Parishes:

Amberley Angmering Arundel Broadwater Burpham
Clapham Climping Durrington Ferring Ford
Goring by Sea Heene Houghton Kingston Lancing
Littlehampton Lyminster Patching Poling East Preston
Rustington South Stoke West Tarring Tortington Warningcamp
Wick Wigginholt Worthing    


Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of  insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.
East Preston 3 3 6
Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.

Worthing Parish

There is a Dispensary in Ann St. Charles Cortis, dispensing assistant; W H Dennett esq, hon.secretary.
Post Office 1846 - p 721  
Submitted by Betty Longbottom


West Sussex Record Office
County Hall
West Sussex PO19 1RN
Tel: 01243 753600 

Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret