Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteFoleshill


1851 Foleshill

Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteFoleshill


1851 Foleshill

Foleshill Poor Law Union and Workhouse

The first parish workhouse was built on land in Three Well Field in 17245, but was in use only until 1733 when it was replaced by a building on Partridge Croft at Court House Green. This second workhouse may have been replaced in its turn by about 1787 by a cottage and garden in Brickkiln Lane (Broad Street) on Great Heath which already belonged to the overseers of the poor in 1775, though it is not known how or when they had acquired them. The cottage, divided into two tenements, was certainly occupied by families placed there by the parish officers until 1799 when the whole property was sold to meet the costs of furnishing the new house of industry, also built in Brickkiln Lane, (39) which became the first Foleshill Union workhouse in 1836. (40) In 1859 this was superseded by the new Union workhouse built off Foleshill Road. (41)
A History of the County of Warwick: Volume VIII
Source: Submitted by Jack Regan

The Foleshill Poor Law Union was declared 28th June 1836  and the Union Workhouse, near Foleshill Hall, Old Leicester Road was built in 1859, to hold 248 inmates.

The Union comprised the following parishes: Ansty, Bedworth, Binley, Exhall, Foleshill, Keresley, Shilton, Sowe, Stoke, Willenhall, Withybrook and Wyken

The population in 1891 was 19,968; area 19.405 acres; rateable value 71,750.

The Board of Guardians met alternate Wednesdays in the Boardroom at the Union Workhouse, Foleshill at 11am.

Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee, James Tomkies, The Lodge, Foleshill.
Superintendent Registrar, Arthur William Masser, Longford.
Rev Charles John Eliot, Chaplain.
John Orton, Medical Officer.
Jeremiah Reynolds, Master.
Mrs Elizabeth Reynolds, Matron.
Miss Elizh Pratt, Industrial Instructor.
Miss Fanny Brandish, Nurse.
Source: Kelly's Directory 1892


Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of  insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.
Foleshill 4 10 14
Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.


Warwick Record Office
Priory Park, 
Cape Road, 
CV34 4JS. 
Tel +44 (0)1926 412735


Copyright Rossbret 1999-2005. All rights reserved.

If you have any information or photographs that you can add to this site, please email

Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret