Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteSolihull


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteSolihull


Solihull Poor Law Union and Workhouse  

Solihull Poor Law Union was declared 10th May 1836 and comprised Baddesley Clinton, the hamlet of Balsall, Barston, Elmdon, the hamlet of Knowle, Lapworth, the hamlet of Nuthurst, Packwood, Solihull and Tanworth. The hamlet of Bushwood in the parish of Old Stratford was added to this Union 27th February 1857.

The Union Workhouse was founded in 1838 in Solihull, it was built of brick and designed to accommodate 120 inmates. The Board of Guardians purchased a field just off the Warwick Road. The Union Workhouse was built and Union Road was created to provide access. 

There was increasing over crowding which led to the building of the Workhouse Infirmary. This was built on land at the back of the Workhouse and faced towards Lode Lane. Further wards were again added in 1910 moving more towards Lode Lane.

Map showing Solihull Union Workhouse in 1887
ref: 2500297
Rossbret 2004

The Infirmary buildings later became Solihull Hospital, whilst the Workhouse buildings on Union Road were converted to accommodation. 

The Board of Guardians met alternate Wednesdays at 10am at the Workhouse to decide on Union matters.
Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee, Francis Ladbury Thompson, Solihull.
Rev. Robert Wilson, Chaplain.
Edward Sutton Page, medical officer.
George James Bushell, Master.
Mary Ann Bushell, Matron.
Source: Kelly's Directory 1892

The area is 47,427 acres; rateable value 186,089; population in 1891 29,822.

All the Workhouse buildings have recently been demolished, to provide for the upgrading of Solihull Hospital.

Brook House  
founded in 1930's as a Maternity Home by the District Nursing Infant Welfare Association. It was renovated and turned into offices for use by the Hospital. 

A group of houses on Lode Lane used as a Maternity Hospital and closed in 1979. The building was demolished.

Copyright Rossbret 1999-2005. All rights reserved.

If you have any information or photographs that you can add to this site, please email

Page last updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret