West Ward Workhouse and Poor Law Union
The Board of Guardians meet at Hackthorpe or the Union Workhouse, Shap on alternate Fridays at 12 noon. The Union is comprised of 121,940 acres, rateable value in 1893 £79,782 and population in 1891 was 7,709.
The Poor Law Union comprises the parishes of Askham, Bampton, Barton, Bolton, Brougham, Cliburn, Clifton, Crosby Ravensworth, Lowther, Martindale, King's Meaburn, Morland, Newby, Patterdale, Shap, Sleagill, Sockbridge, Great Strickland, Little Strickland, Thrimby, Yanwath and Eamont Bridge.
The Clerk to the Guardians in 1896 was James Parkinson Shepherd and Superintendent Registrar was Joseph Halmshaw.
The Workhouse was erected in 1877 and designed to accommodate 60 inmates.
|Workhouse Staff 1896|
|James Glessall||Workhouse Master|
|Mrs Elizabeth Glessall||Workhouse Matron|
|Septimus Farmer||Medical Officer|
|Rev. Stephen Whiteside||Chaplain|
Records Available from Kendal Record Office, County Offices, Strickland Gate, Kendal, Cumbria. LA9 4RQ
Telephone:- U.K. 01539 773540
Link to Website of Constables Census Westmorland 1787
Page updated March 12, 2008 .
Copyright © Rossbret 2001. All Rights reserved.