Devizes Union Workhouse
Board day, Tuesday, fortnightly, at the Poor Law Institution, at 11am.
Chairman Thomas W. Ferris, West Park, Market Lavington
Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee, Oliver Sheppard, 5 St Johns Court.
The Union contains the following parishes:
The population of the Union in 1911 was 19,600; area 62,761 acres; rateable
value, Lady Day 1915, £112,182.
Poor Law Institution, a building of brick, built in 1837 to hold 301 inmates.
Rev. William Harvie Weekes, Chaplain
George S. A. Waylen, Medical Officer
William Fear, Master
Mrs Matilda Fear, Matron
Became Devizes Institution in 1930 until 1948.
Under the National Health Service it was renamed as St James' Hospital.
Link to Index of Births at the Devizes Workhouse
Link to Index of Deaths at the Devizes Workhouse
Devizes District Hospital
Formed in 1872 as Devizes Cottage Hospital and Dispensary.
Became Devizes District Hospital in 1925 and then later was renamed Devizes Community Hospital.
Devizes and Pewsey Joint Infectious Diseases
Founded in 1899 until 1948.
Became Devizes Maternity Hospital until closed in 1981.
Wiltshire County Lunatic Asylum
Located at Devizes, opened 19th September 1851, is a structure of Bath Stone, in the italian style from designs by Mr. Thomas Henry Wyatt, architect.
The asylum has been repeatedly enlarged since its first erection and will now hold about 1,004 patients.
The land belonging to the asylum consists of nearly 159 acres.
James Turner, Clerk to the Asylum
In 1924 it was called Wiltshire County Mental Hospital until 1948. Then renamed Roundway Hospital.
Source: Kelly's Directory 1915
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret