Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteMarlborough


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteMarlborough


Marlborough Union Workhouse
Board days, alternate Saturdays at the Union Workhouse, at 2pm
Chairman of the Board of Guardians, Robert Butler J.P , Stitchcombe, Mildenhall, Marlborough.
Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee, Edward Llewellyn Gwillim, Silverless Street.
The following is a list of places in the Marlborough Union:

The population of the Union in 1911 was 8,897, area 44,393 acres, rateable value, Lady day 1915, 50,994.

The Poor Law Institution, Preshute, half a mile north of the Town, is a building of white Bath stone, erected in 1837 and will hold 200 inmates.
Rev William Gustavus Hubbard, Chaplain
Godfrey K. Maurice, Medical Officer
Edward Scattergood, Master
Mrs M. A. Scattergood, Matron

Savernake Hospital
Thomas Horatio Haydon and Walter Byron Maurice, Consulting Surgeons.
Miss Holmes, Matron
H.R. Giffard, Hon Sec.

Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret