Bromsgrove Poor Law Union and Workhouse
Bromsgrove Parish Workhouse commenced in 1723 on the Strand in a house erected 1701. This house has now been successfully restored and converted for use as offices.
Following the 1834 Poor
Law Amendment Act, Bromsgrove Union was officially declared 15th October
Bromsgrove Union comprised the Parishes of Alvechurch, Belbroughton, Bentley Pauncefoot, Beoley, Bromsgrove, North Bromsgrove, Clent, Cofton Hackett, Frankley, Grafton Manor, Hagley, Hunnington, Pedmore, Redditch, North Redditch, Romsley, Stoke Prior, Tutnall, Webheath and Wythall
The Workhouse, based on the square plan as published by the Poor Law Commissioners, was erected from designs by J. Bateman and G. Drury who also designed Leek, Stratford upon Avon and Birmingham. It was an edifice of red brick, distant three quarters of a mile north of the Town Hall, and was erected in 1838 at a cost of £7,600 to accommodate 240 inmates.
Insane, Idiotic and Imbecile inmates in Bromsgrove Workhouse in 1867.
Male 6; Female 5; Total 11 inmates
Source: 22nd report Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor, submitted by Alan Longbottom.
The population in 1911 was 40,082, but by the Birmingham (Extension) Order 1911, which came into operation April 1st 1912, part of the Rednall area was added to Cofton Hackett Parish , and Beoley and Wythall were transferred from Kings Norton Union to Bromsgrove Union and the population increased to 41,860.
Rev A. B. Macfarlane M.A. Finstall Vicarage, Chaplain.
William Herbert Rowlands M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. Medical Officer
William Lowthian, Master
Mrs Lowthian, Matron.
Source: Kelly's Directory 1921
The term Workhouse was abolished in 1930, and the buildings became Bromsgrove Public Assistance Institution. Following the introduction of the National Health Service, the buildings became Bromsgrove General Hospital.
© Rossbret 2003
LINK to further photographs of Bromsgrove Workhouse
The new Princess of Wales community Hospital was erected on Stourbridge Road using some of the previous workhouse land. The rest of the land has been utilised for Housing with the main Workhouse block converted into office accommodation.
The present Bromsgrove Union Workhouse (now converted to offices -
residential) was built in 1838 in the Birmingham Road to the north of
Bromsgrove. For many years it's address appears in the Bromsgrove cemetery
records as '12A Birmingham Road'. For some reason after the Road was renumber it
kept the suffix 'A' and became '165A Birmingham Road'. In later years it became
Source: Written by Colin Wood
Records are held by Worcester Record Office, County Hall, Spetchley Road, Worcester. WR5 2NP
Copyright © Rossbret 1999-2005. All rights reserved.
If you have any information or photographs that you can add to this site, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Page last updated
12 March, 2008