Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteEvesham


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteEvesham


Evesham Poor Law Union and Workhouse

Following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834, Evesham Poor Law Union was declared 26th February 1836.

Evesham Union consisted the parishes of Abbot's Lench, Aldington, All Saints (Evesham), Ashton Underhill, Aston Somerville, Aston sub Edge, Badsey, Bretforten, Broadway, Childs Wickham, Church Honeybourne, Church Lench, Cleeve Prior, Cow Honeybourne, Great and Little Hampton, Harvington, Hinton on the Green, North Littleton, Norton & Lenchwick, Offenham, Pebworth, Rouse Lench, St Lawrence (Evesham), St Peter, Bengeworth (Evesham), Saintbury, Sedgeberrow, South Littleton, Weston sub Edge, Wickhamford and Willersey

The Workhouse at Little Hampton, on the western bank of the Avon, was erected 1837 in brick from designs by John Plowman, architect. The building cost 2,395 and could accommodate 130 inmates. 

The Infirmary, a detached brick  building to the rear of the main block, erected in the year 1870 at a cost of 1,200, had 25 beds, with Nurses and Surgeons rooms. The detached building formerly used as a hospital for infectious diseases, was later used for general purposes, all infectious cases being sent to the Sanatorium at Bengeworth. 

In 1879-1880 a detached chapel was built for the use of the inmates; it is in plan a simple parallelogram in the early Decorated style, with an entrance at the west end, the east window and four chancel windows are stained; the building was consecrated July 16th, 1880.

The Board of Guardians met at 12 noon on Mondays at the Workhouse to discuss Union matters, known as the "Board Day".

Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee, Edward Wadams, 41 Port Street, Bengeworth.
Rev. Charles Arthur Baker, rector of Hinton, has been Chaplain since 1880.
Anthony Herbert Martin, Medical Officer.
William Girvin, Master.
Elizabeth Girvin, Matron.
Source: Kelly's Directory 

The buildings of the Union Workhouse formed part of Evesham Community Hospital, some of which have now been demolished. 

Records are held by Worcester Record Office, County Hall, Spetchley Road, Worcester. WR5 2NP 

Copyright Rossbret 1999-2005. All rights reserved.

If you have any information or photographs that you can add to this site, please email

Page last updated 12 March, 2008