Martley Union Workhouse
Following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834 Martley Union was declared 14th September 1836. The Board of Guardians met for their "Board Day" fortnightly at the Board room at 11am at the Union Workhouse.
The Union comprised the parishes of Abberley, Alfrick, Areley Kings, Astley, Bransford, Broadwas, Clifton on Teme, Cotheridge, Doddenham, Grimley, North Hallow, Hillhampton, Holt, Kenswick, Knightwick, Leigh, Lulsley, Malvern Link, Martley, Pensax, Sapey Pritchard, Shelsley Beauchamp, Shelsley Kings, Shelsley Walsh, Shrawley, Stanford, Stocton, Suckley, Wichenford, Witley Great and Witley Little
The Union Workhouse in Martley is a building of brick, erected in 1838 from designs by Sampson Kempthorne and based on the model 200-pauper plan as published by the Poor Law Commissioners. The Workhouse could accommodate 136 inmates. An Infirmary and Chapel were later added, but the buildings have since been demolished.
Clerk to the Guardians, Ambrose William Knott, 14, Foregate Street, Worcester.
Rev James Davenport, Chaplain.
E.S. Greensill, Medical Officer.
Arthur Paley Battersea, Master
Mrs Battersea, Matron
Source: Kelly's Directory 1896
Records are held by Worcester Record Office, County Hall, Spetchley Road, Worcester. WR5 2NP
Page last updated 12 March, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 1999-2002. All rights reserved.