Beverley Poor Law Union and Workhouse
Beverley Poor Law Union was declared on 26th October 1836, and consists of the parishes of Aike, Beverley St Martin, Beverley St Mary, Beverley St Nicholas, Beswick, Brantingham, Bishop Burton, Cherry Burton, South Cave, South Dalton, Ellerker, Elloughton with Brough, Eske, Etton, Holme on the Wolds, Kilnwick, Leconfield and Arram, Leven, Lockington, Lund, Meaux, Molescroft, North Newbald, South Newbald, Routh, Rowley, Scorborough, Skidby, Storkhill and Sandholme, Thearne, Tickton and Hull Bridge, Walkington, Wawne, Weel, Woodmansey and Beverley Parks.
A Workhouse had been erected in 1726 by the three parishes of St Martin, St Mary and St Nicholas which had been converted for use as the Union Workhouse until q new Brick Union Workhouse was erected 1860 to 1861 from designs by John and William Atkinson, architects.
The workhouse, near Westwood, in St Mary's parish, opened in 1861 at a cost, including the site, of
£ 5,500, is a building of red brick, with stone
dressings, in the Tudor style, & consists of a central block with a turret containing a bell and a clock, added in 1902, & two wings, & will hold 189
inmates. A new infirmary, with 60 beds, and casual wards for 41 inmates (29 males and 12 females) with work cells attached & 6 stone breaking cells in the
yard, porter's lodge & archway over the road at the entrance, were completed in
1895 at a total cost of £ 8,000.
James E EASTWOOD, master;
George SAVEGE, medical officer,
Mrs EASTWOOD, matron.
Beverley Union consists of 35 parishes/ townships, with a population in 1901 of 24, 454.
Source: Submitted by Andy Kerridge
NB: There is a little extra information in an extract from the 1892 Bulmer's Directory on the GENUKI pages:
Pages updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret