Bridlington Poor Law Union and Workhouse
Bridlington Poor Law Union was declared 4th
October 1836 and the Bridlington Union Workhouse was erected 1846-1847 on the Flamborough Road.
Further extensions were made to the rear which could be accessed via Marton
Road. The Gatehouse and remains of the Workhouse can be seen from Flamborough
The Union consisted of the following parishes, Argam, Barnston, Bempton, Bessingby, Boynton, Bridlington, Buckton, Burton Agnes, Burton Fleming, Carnaby, Dringhoe, Upton and Brough, Easton, Flamborough, Fordon, Fraisthorpe, Gransmoor, Grindale, Haisthorpe, Hilderthorpe, Hunmanby, Lissett, Reighton, Rudston, Sewerby cum Marton, Skipsea, Speeton, Thornholme, Thwing, Ulrome, Wilsthorpe and Wold Newton.
The Union workhouse is a brick building, on the north side of the town, & on the Flamborough Road; it was erected in 1846, at a cost of about £ 6,000, & is available for about 150 persons; the average number of inmates is 60;
Joseph LOADER, master; & Mrs LOADER, matron; William Albert WETWAN M.R.C.S. Eng. medical officer. Bridlington Union consists of 30 parishes/ townships and in 1901 had a population of 20,229.
Source: Submitted by Andy Kerridge
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret