GREAT DRIFFIELD UNION
Driffield Poor Law Union was declared 17th September 1836.
The workhouse, erected in 1837, at the north end of the town, is a commodious building.
Source: Slater Directory 1864 - p 112 Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Driffield Union consists of the following
parishes, Bainton, Beeford, Bracken, Brigham, Butterwick, Cottam, Cowlam, North
Dalton, Great Driffield, Little Driffield, Eastburn, Emswell with Kellythorpe,
Fimber, Foston on the Wolds, Foxholes with Boythorpe, North Frodingham, Garton
on the Wolds, Gembling, Harpham, Helperthorpe, Hutton Cranswick, Great Kelk,
Little Kelk, Kilham, Kirkburn and Battleburn, Langtoft, Lowthorpe, Luttons Ambo,
Middleton on the Wolds, Nafferton, Neswick, Rotsea, Ruston Parva, Skerne,
Sledmere, Southburn, Sunderlandwick, Tibthorpe, Towthorpe, Wansford, Watton,
Weaverthorpe and Wetwang.
The new Union Workhouse was erected 1866 to 1868 from designs by J. Oates, architect and was built of brick.
Workhouse, a building of brick, erected in 1868, to hold 192 inmates;
Thomas N CONDOR, master;
Rev. Canon William Robert SHARROCK, M.A., hon. chaplain;
Alex Theodore BRAND, M.D., C.M., J.P., medical officer;
Mrs Jane CONDOR, matron.
The Union comprises 46 parishes/townships, with a population in 1901 of 17,754.
Source: Submitted by Andy Kerridge
NB: There are further details in an extract from the 1892 Bulmer's Directory on the GENUKI pages :
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret